The 4th Alabama Cavalry Regiment (Roddey's) was formed at Tuscumbia in October, 1862, and moved to middle Tennessee where it wintered. Recruits were from Franklin, Lauderdale, Lawrence, and Walker counties.
During the early spring, 1863, the regiment was sent to the Tennessee River Valley in Northern Alabama, assigned to General Phillip Dale Roddey's Brigade where it took an active part in raiding and attacking the Federals, including meeting Union Gen'l Grenville Dodge's advance below Tuscumbia, and in helping to thwart Union Col. Abel D. Streight's Raid into Alabama.
The regiment was publicly commended in April, 1863, by Gen'l Braxton Bragg for its good discipline and order.
In April, 1864, the regiment was transferred to the Dept. of Alabama, Mississippi, and East Louisiana.
After fighting at Brice's Cross Roads [also called Tishomingo Creek] with heavy losses, it saw action in various conflicts from Montevallo to Selma, including the defense against Union Gen'l James Wilson's Raid.
At Selma, on 2 April 1865, most of the unit was captured. The remaining part surrendered at Pond Spring.
The regiment's first colonel, Philip Dale Roddy, who raised an independent cavalry company before he commanded the 4th AL Cavalry, was made a brigadier early in the war. The regiment was commanded for the great part of the war by Col. William A. Johnson
Cols. - Phillip Dale Roddey (Lawrence; promoted
William Arthur Johnson (Lauderdale; wounded, Pulaski)
Lt. Col. - Francis Marion Windes
Majors - Richard W. Johnson (Lauderdale; wounded, near Florence; KIA, near Moulton)
John E. Newsom
Adjutants - Francis Marion Windes (promoted)
E. S. Chisholm.