Lyman H. Cone

Lyman was born in Claremont, NH & resided in Claremont,when he enlisted at the age of 31
During that time he may have been at Fair Oaks, Peach Orchard, White Oak Swamp, Malvern Hill, during the peninsular campaign of 62.
Then Antietam where he was wounded. The "Fighting Fifth" was involved in the heavy fighting of "the sunken road" / "bloody lane".
In the words of Lt. Thomas Livermore:

"On looking about me I found that we were in an old sunken road and that the bed of it lay from one to three feet below the surface of the crest along which it ran. In this road there lay so many dead rebels that there formed a line which one might have walked on as far as I could see, many of whom had been killed by the most horrible wounds of shot and shell and they lay just as they had been killed apparently amid the blood which was soaking the earth. It was on this ghastly flooring that we kneeled for the last struggle.

As the Rebel advance became apparent we plied the line with musketry with all our power and with no doubt with terrible effect but they still advanced. A color bearer came forward within fifteen yards of our line and with the utmost desperation waved the flag in front of him. Our men fairly roared "shoot the man with the flag!" and he went down in the twinkling and the flag was not raised in sight again.
As the fight grew furious the Colonel cried out "Put on the war paint!" and looking around I saw the glorious man standing erect with a red handkerchief, a conspicuous mark, tied around his bare head..Taking the cue somehow we rubbed the torn ends of cartridges over our faces, streaking them with powder like a pack of Indians and the Colonel, to complete the similarity, cried out, "Give 'em the war whoop" and all of us joined him in the Indian war whoop until it must have rung out amid the thunder of the ordinance."

If Lyman recovered quickly he might have been at Fredericksburg. In 1863 the 5th were at Chancelorsville, Brandy Station, Gettysburg.
With less than one hundred men present for duty after Gettysburg, the army command detached the 5th from the Second Corps and returned it to New Hampshire for recruits to rebuild their decimated ranks.
On November 9th, they arrived by steamer at Point Lookout, Maryland where they, along with the 2nd and 12fth New Hampshire, were ordered to the duty of guarding Confederate prisoners. Here they remained until May of 1864 when they were recalled to the Army of the Potomac, then engaged in the Wilderness and Spotsylvania. Then engaged in the Wilderness and Spotsylvania then Cold Harbor.

At Cold Harbor the regiment with the brigade, charged the enemy's works and carried them, capturing two guns and one hundred and twenty five prisoners which were sent to the rear. thheir casualties were very hight though. 202 killed out of 577 present for duty, & was the most costly single day in the regiments history.
In October 1864, the enlistment's of the original men were completed and many were mustered out and went home.

[ Back ]